August 16, 2011

Boyfriend

Might've taken a few "o hai"'s...

That's a word I haven't said in a long time.

It's a word I've certainly wanted to say, especially in the last year, but no one really seemed to fit the bill. Turns out there was in fact one person I met in the last year who would fit the bill, who I was constantly texting, who was always down to hang out, and who shares my passion for animals and good food. Who knew, right?

My boyfriend (still getting used to saying that) and I started out as friends. Kind of... we started off on pseudo-dates, which progressed to friendship, which progressed to very good friendship, which has now turned into a full-fledged (and incredibly intense) romance. My pattern certainly seems to be dating acquaintances, but this is the first time I've gone after someone who has such an involvement in my life. I'm definitely digging it.

Although this whole thing is still incredibly new there's already a lot to be excited about. I can honestly say there hasn't been a person I've been this crazy for. Ever. Not that I've dated a lot, but still, for two weeks I've been constantly excited. Again, I know it's still brand new, and I know exactly how silly I sound, but I can't help that past boyfriends (and almost-boyfriends) have started out more meh than anything. Finally, a man who is actively exciting me from the get-go and who certainly seems to be just as excited about me. I could get used to this.

For more than a year if I couldn't have a boyfriend I at least wanted to be excited about someone, to have a crush on someone, or just even to be thinking about someone; when I started thinking about this guy I never expected to not only get those feelings and then some, but to have those feelings returned so absolutely. And the best part is because of our pre-existing friendship I already know what kind of person he is, he already knows what kind of person I am and (get this) we like each other anyway. There's no worrying about exposing our dorky sides and no need to hide behind whatever facade people hide behind when beginning a relationship. There's a high level of honesty and comfort built in.

I promise this blog won't be turned into a sappy lovey thing (I'll prove it with my next post), but it's just been a while since I've felt this way about someone, and there's never been a person to make me feel this instantly connected to him. I'm looking forward to the road ahead and the fun times it's sure to bring.

EDIT: Also, the universe works in a kind of funny way. A month after I decide to take a break from birth control for an unspecified amount of time I find someone I want to be with long term, someone I can't wait to undress and someone who wants babies even less than I do. . I feel like Robin when she meets Don because everyone told her as soon as she said she wanted to focus on her career she'd meet someone, except that for me it was birth control and I already knew the person I'd meet. And I'm very, very OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment