July 23, 2011

In Which I Am 13



Check the name tag.

I got my period. (Yep, that's what this post is about. Keep reading, boys!)

For the first time in more than 3 years I stopped taking birth control pills and decided to go au natural for a little bit, and it feels like I'm 13 again and learning everything for the first time. All of a sudden I'm dealing with pimples, which hasn't been an issue for years. (Also, I'm TWENTY FIVE and shouldn't have pimples in the first place.) Cramps have all but disappeared, which is bittersweet because duh, no more cramps, but they're also a great way to know
when I'm getting my period, which is super helpful when I'm not taking pills.

I decided to take some time off the pills partly because it's been a while since I've taken a break, partly because I'm not getting laid for the immediate future, and partly because I've forgotten how my body would react off the hormones. My theory is if birth control pills make your body believe its pregnant constantly (hence the whole bigger boobs thing), then wouldn't you be storing belly fat? And if you stop taking the pills, wouldn't you be more likely to lose some of that belly fat? The same could be said about the boobs but I'm not too concerned about that: taking hormones for the last 6 years gave me a nice stock pile. And so far I'm feeling much lighter in all the right places, even this week.

After a month, the consensus is there are reasons to be on the pills and reasons to be off. Obviously the next time I'm having sex on a regular basis I'll be back on them, but for the time being I think I'll be happy taking a few months off. I may have to deal with acne and not knowing when I'll get my period, but feeling a little lighter and saving those pills for when I'll need them is worth it.

Stay tuned for the next time I feel like blogging about my bodily functions.

No comments:

Post a Comment