May 26, 2009

Proposition 8

Made me so happy!

I'm not surprised at all that the ban on same sex marriage was upheld today. Asking California's Supreme Court to lift the ban based on a technicality was a long shot, and a move that controversial wouldn't be decided based on a technicality. So it'll either go to the US Supreme Court or back to the ballot. Since justices decided to keep the validity of the existing same sex marriages this might be a court case: the law is going to have a hard time discriminating against only some gays. 

Pre-march crowd.

A rally was organized at Balboa Park today in protest of the courts decision, followed by a march, and I went to check it out and take some pictures. A rather large turnout gathered on the grass lining Sixth Street; some brought dogs, some brought signs and some brought bottles of water to hand out to the marchers. I filled out a post card to President Obama saying why I believe in marriage equality. I took forever to think of something clever to say, but the nearly blank card began with "I believe in marriage equality because" and all I could come up with was something about how the Declaration of Independence doesn't say "except for gays."

Coolest sign there.

I was asked to say into a video camera, in 15 seconds or less, how the ruling affected me. I said something very lame and once I got back home I realized I should have said: "The ruling makes me feel like I am a better person because of my sexual preference, but that is not how I want to be judged. I'm sure homosexuals don't want to be judged for their sexual preferences either."

Yay St. Paul's!

Last week a few California voters shot down several propositions aimed at reducing the state deficit from 20-something-billion-dollars to 15-ish-billion-dollars. Shouldn't we be doing everything we can to raise money in this time of need? Gay marriage won't save our state, but an influx of weddings would certainly help our economy. Who knows, maybe with the revenue and taxes generated from gay marriages we wouldn't have to take as much money from our schools. Ha, I'd love to see research on that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

To my homosexual friends and neighbors: One day we'll look back on all this and be ashamed and embarrassed that we thought you were second class citizens and our kids and grandkids will be amazed you didn't have the same rights as everyone else way back when. When the baby boomers start falling we'll be heard, and we'll make it right. Eventually...

Props!

No comments:

Post a Comment