June 5, 2010

The Small Stuff

Someone somewhere said, "don't sweat the small stuff" and then someone else somewhere else added, "and it's all small stuff!" to try and be clever and make you feel better about your life.


Well it doesn't work. Mostly because it's not all small stuff. In fact, some of it is very big stuff, and very big stuff deserves some sweat.

Big things I'm currently sweating:
Where I'm going to live in 3 weeks
Where I'm going to work this summer
What I'm going to do with myself for the next 20 years

Now, these things can be considered "the small stuff:" I move a lot anyway so where I live really doesn't matter all that much, at least I have a job and who cares if I don't like it, I still have plenty of time to figure out my dream career. After all, a wise man once said, "Look, we're basically on earth to shit and fuck. So unless your job's to help people shit or fuck, it's not that important, so relax."

Now, I'm not a big fan of assisting the general population with either shitting or fucking, so I figure I oughta figure out what I am going to help people do. I figure the best way to do this is to ask myself how I would occupy my time if I had all the money in the world to spend as I figured. And I figure I would spend much of it helping animals and figuring out how many times I can write "figure" in one paragraph.

Which makes me wonder... say I spend a couple of years in nursing school learning to help people be healthy (yes, I understand I would need to help people shit... that's a huge drawback), would I be able to turn that around after a while and rehabilitate wildlife? Or could I use those skills to volunteer while still helping people? Or, even, could I somehow segue into ecology from nursing?

Priority #1 is finding a place to live for the immediate future. Priority #2 is finding a job I don't hate. Priority #3 is flipping a coin and deciding which career path to pursue. Funny thing is no matter what I do it will still involve a looooooot more schooling. When I was still in college I often said I'd be in school forever. Little did I know how true that thought was...

No comments:

Post a Comment