September 8, 2010

Urge To Fly


I've been restless. Pretty much since the first days of 2010, when I first began to realize my job was leading absolutely nowhere, I've felt caught in a rut of shit jobs and abandoned dreams.

But I may have found a way to break the rut, if not follow my dreams. As you may have read before, it's come to my knowledge that I'd probably make a pretty fantastic English teacher. I met with the academic director at my school and she suggested that the only way I could be a better candidate for when they're hiring is if I get a TEFL certificate.

And you know what? I could teach anywhere in the world with that. And that's kind of exciting.

I've had the urge to leave San Diego. California, even. Not forever, but long enough to scratch the itch that's been growing for the last 9 months. I was thinking East Coast, but with a TEFL certificate I can go to the UK or Australia... or maybe elsewhere in Europe, or even South America. As a native speaker with a degree and a certificate I can teach at any number of language schools around the world or here in San Diego.

And that's where I'll start. I was feeling kind of down about myself for being weeks away from 25 and have made negative progress on my masters degree (hell, I don't even know what I want to do...), but isn't now the time to go where the wind takes you? Isn't your twenties the time to travel the world, gain international experience, meet new and interesting people and have the kinds of stories you tell your grandkids? And if I'm having the itch now, well dammit I oughta scratch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment