September 5, 2010

Disclaimer

HA! Yes.

I suppose I knew this day would come sooner or later.

A couple of my more loyal readers have asked, "what if someone you write about reads your blog and gets upset?" I'd taken this into consideration and decided when I began to not use any names or nicknames, with few exceptions (certain people know who they are and so does pretty much everyone else, so why bother?). A person reading about themselves will probably recognize themselves, but no one else likely will (again, except for those few exceptions).

The other day I got a phone call from a certain person who, having discovered this little corner of the Internet from another certain person (who, by the way, went to the Glenn Beck rally in DC, which is a whole 'nother can of worms) expressed extreme displeasure at some, um, less than flattering (but not untrue) depictions. Because this certain person brought it to my attention, saying some rather unflattering things in return, I promised to exclude her from this blog in the future.

Which brings me to the point of this whole ordeal.

I started writing publicly when I was laid off from my writing job. The point was to keep my mind working during the in-between period, to keep practicing my words, and also learn more about writing on the Internet. I consider myself a writer: I may not be getting paid to write (THANKS A LOT BLOGGER) but I studied English my whole life, earned a degree in writing, and have an enthusiasm for language that I hope will soon earn myself a little more than what I'm currently bringing in. I also decided that I wasn't going to censor myself for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

And guess what? I hurt someone's feelings.

This certain person is of the opinion that only flattering, nice things should be said about certain people (certain person included), and we argued because I, surprisingly, am not of that opinion. I've only written real, true things, and some of them happen to be unflattering. The problem, however, lies in misreading and misinterpreting by certain people looking for a specific answer, which I can't help or change.

Those close to me know that sometimes my life ends up in writing on the Internet. I'm not out to air petty arguments or disagreements. That's boring. Also silly. But some things about my life and my history do affect who I am and I write about it. Sugar coating life is not what I'm interested in, so I hereby issue an apology to anyone past, present and future who is or will be offended by what I write. Except for the certain person who expressly asked me to refrain from writing about her in the future, I don't plan on changing. It's a risk I knew I was taking when I started and after a year and a half it caught up to me. I could change who I am and what I want to be or I could chalk the experience up to job risks.

To the rest of you unaffected by what I write, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment