August 10, 2010

Prop 8 Overturned!

Using this again.

Looks like we might have done something in the right direction, for a change. California Proposition 8 has been overturned!

I wrote a lot about Prop 8 and gay rights last year (March 2009, April 2009, May 2009, August 2009, September 2009). I'm still amazed that in 2010 there's even a question of gay rights, that people don't see the parallels to the civil rights issues of the 1960s.

I can see religious conservatives sitting in their bedrooms at night, after putting their young kids to bed, talking fearfully about this great country's downfall. They'll be nearly in tears, saying how they just don't understand how people could think that homosexuality is OK, disgusted at the thought of gay people being allowed to marry each other, terrified of their beautiful, innocent children having to grow up in a world where marriage is meaningless, where God is dead and where family values are forgotten.

I can also see gay couples siting in their bedrooms at night, too worried to sleep. They'll be nearly in tears, saying how they just don't understand how people could so blatantly discriminate against their love solely because they're of the same gender, disgusted at the thought of being second-class citizens, terrified that they'll never be able to live in a world where love is what counts, where all men are created equal and where marriage is recognized.

I can see myself sitting in my sister's living room one day, telling my nieces and nephews how I voted against Prop 8. I'll be proudly smiling as I explain that back in my day gays weren't allowed to marry each other, how disgusted the idea made me, that I was terrified they would be born into a world where love was only valid if it was between a man and a woman, where marriage was a privilege for the straight and where they would be treated differently for how they love.

I know in my heart that day will come, that we'll look back on this time and shake our heads at the ignorance. Now we're one step closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment